CD ACC Malaysian 40mins plus standing and cooling
Malaysian Name: Acar Timun
Cold Vegetable Seafood Shellfish Condiment Accompaniment Gluten Wheat Dairy free Eggless Malaysia South East Asian Asian
2 Cucumbers, cut into 2.5cm/1-inch strips
1 Carrot, cut into 2.5cm/1-inch strips
1 Red Chilli, cut into 5cm/2-inch strips
1 large Onion, cut into 12mm/ ½ -inch wedges
2 tbsp Salt
8 Dried Chillies
4 Garlic Cloves
2.5cm/1-inch Fresh Root Ginger
2 tbsp Dried Prawns (shrimp)
120ml/4fl.oz. Vegetable Oil
½ teasp Mustard Seeds
½ teasp Ground Turmeric
4 level tbsp Sugar
1. Place the vegetables on a large plate in one layer, sprinkle with the salt and set aside for at least 2 hours.
2. Once the vegetables are limp, rinse well under cold running water than spread them on a clean tea towel in a cool place to dry.
3. Meanwhile, grind together the chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger and candlenuts and dried prawns. Set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan then fry mustard seeds for 1 minute, stirring.
5. Add the ground shallot mixture and turmeric powder and continue to fry for further 5 minutes.
6. Add the vinegar and sugar, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
7. Taste the mixture and add more salt and sugar if necessary then stir in the prepared vegetables and mix well.
8. Remove the pan from the heat, allow to cool slightly then transfer to an air tight container or jar.