Veg HT ACC Sri Lankan 60mins plus soaking and standing
Sri Lankan Name: Appa/appam
Serves 4-6 Hot Vegetarian Vegan
Accompaniment Dairy Free Eggless Sri Lanka Ceylon Ceylonese Asia
225g/8oz Long Grain White Rice
150g/+5oz Plain Flour
2 tbsp Sugar
480ml/16fl.oz. Coconut Milk
½ teasp bicarbonate of soda
1. Soak the rice in plenty of cold water for 6 hours or overnight.
2. Drain the soaked rice then transfer to a blender or food processor together
with the water and process to a paste.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl then add the sugar and flour and
mix to a very thick batter. Set aside to ferment in a warm place for 8 hours but
no longer than 10, in warm place. It will not rise but tiny bubbles will appear.
4. Add the bicarbonate of soda and salt to the batter, mix well then add the
coconut milk a little at a time mix well but not too vigorously.
5. Lightly grease a hopper pan or the bottom 1/3rd of a wok then heat the pan
over a medium heat until hot but not too hot. Pour in a ladle of batter and
quickly swirl until the pan is coated : the remaining batter will run into the
6. Cover the pan. With a lid and leave for about 5 minutes or until they have a
golden edge. Try not to open the lid until the hopper is ready as it may
7. Loosen the edges and slide the hopper out. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Egg Hoppers Recipe
For egg hoppers (Bitthara Appa) make as above but before you cover the pan,
break an egg into the centre of the hopper as soon as you have swirled the
batter. Reduce the heat a little and cook until the egg has set. It will take a