Veg CD ACC Korean 2 days
Korean Name: chong-gac kimchi
Serves 6 Cold Vegetarian Vegan Vegetable
Accompaniment Korea Asia Asian Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless
900g/2lb Korean White Radish (with leaf tops)
4 tbsp Salt
4 Large Garlic Cloves
1 Small Onion, chopped
2 teasp Grated Root Ginger
1-2 tbsp Red Chilli Powder, depending on taste
1 tbsp Coarse Sea Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
1. Separate the leafy tops from the radish then cut the radish bulbs into
quarters and place both the radish bulbs and the leafy tops in a large mixing
2. Dissolve 4 tablespoons of salt in the water then pour over the radish mixture
and mix well, using your hands. Cover with clingfilm or a large plate and leave
for 12 hours, turning the mixture 2-3 times during the period.
3. After the pickling time, discard the water and rinse the radish and greens
well with clean cold water. Set aside.
4. Place the garlic, onion and ginger in a food processor with a little water
and process to a runny pulp.
5. Place the onion mixture in a large mixing bowl together with the remaining
ingredients, mix well then add the radish and greens and mix thoroughly, using
6. Transfer the mixture to large jars or containers, cover with clingfilm then
leave at room temperature for 48 hours to ferment.
7. After this period store the Kimchi in a refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
End of instructions