Sinhalese Date Chutney Recipe
Veg CD ACC
Sri Lankan 35mins plus cooling
Serves 4-6 Cold Vegetarian Vegan Dried
Fruit Spices Accompaniment Curry Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless
Sri Lanka Ceylon Ceylonese Asia Asian
3 Garlic cloves, crushed
2 Slices Fresh Root Ginger, grated
1 teasp Mustard seeds
2 Cloves, crushed
100g/4oz Dates, stoned and chopped
½ teasp Chilli powder
1 x 5cm/2-inch Cinnamon stick
½ teasp Salt
1. Place the garlic, ginger, mustard seeds and cloves in a mortar and grind.
2. Place the ground mixture in a saucepan together with the sugar and the
vinegar and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add the dates, chili powder, cardamoms and cinnamon stick and cook over a low
heat for 20 minutes, stirring one or twice, until slightly thickened.
4. Add the sultanas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Remove the cinnamon stick and add salt to taste. Set aside to
End of instructions