Lankan Name: Seeni Sambol
Hot Vegetables Fish Seafood Shellfish Spices
Accompaniment Dairy Free Eggless Sri Lanka Ceylon
Ceylonese Asia Asian
4 large Onions, finely chopped
60ml/2fl.oz. Maldive Fish or Dried Shrimp Paste
5cm/2-inch Fresh Root Ginger, coarsely grated
6 Garlic Cloves, crushed
2 Red Chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
6 Cardamom Pods, split
1 teasp Ground Cinnamon
90ml/3fl.oz. Vegetable Oil
4 Curry Leaves
1 teasp Tamarind Paste
2 tbsp Sugar
Salt to taste
1. Place the onions, maldive fish, ginger, garlic, chillies,
cardamom, cloves and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the curry leaves and stir-fry
the curry leaves for 30 seconds.
3. Add the onion mixture and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes,
4. Add the tamarind paste and continue to cook, stirring, for a
further 5 minutes until dark brown.
5. Add the sugar and continue to stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
Adjust the seasoning adding salt if necessary.
End of instructions