90mins plus soaking
A classic British Piccalilli Pickle Recipe
Makes about 2.2kg/5lbs
Vegetarian Vegetables Cold Accompaniment
Pickles Preserves Dairy Free England English Europe
2 Medium Cauliflowers, (approx 1k/2.2lb) divided into
300g/11oz Small Onions
300g/11oz Marrow, unpeeled and diced
1/2 small Cucumber, unpeeled and diced
100g/4oz Fresh Green Beans, thickly
2 level teasp Powdered Mustard
1 teasp Ground Ginger
900ml/ 1-1/2 pts White Vinegar
1 tbsp Turmeric
2 level tbsp Cornflour
1. Dissolve the salt in the water in a large mixing bowl, add the vegetables and
leave to soak overnight.
2. The next day, prepare the jars (see notes below) and drain the vegetables
from the saline solution and rinse very well under cold running water.
3. In a large saucepan, place the the sugar, mustard, ginger and 600ml/1 pint of
the vinegar. Add the rinsed vegetables, bring to the boil then reduce the heat
and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Place the remaining vinegar in a jug or bowl, add the turmeric and cornflour
and blend well.
5. Add the cornflour mixture to the vegetables and cook for a further 2-3
6. Remove from the heat and spoon the pickles into prepared warmed jars. Cover ,
seal and label (see notes below) Store in a cool place.
End of instructions