Sweetened Chestnut Purée Recipe
HT CD Veg ACC DP 80mins
purée recipe is suitable for use as an ingredient in sweet recipes.
4-6 Hot Cold Vegetarian
Desserts Puddings Gluten Wheat Free
Extract (check ingredients label)
Bring a large pan of water to the boil.
2. Meanwhile, make an incision on the flat side of each chestnut.
Drop the nuts into the boiling water and boil for 5-10 minutes.
3. Remove with a slotted spoon then peel whilst still warm.
4. Place the peeled chestnuts in a medium saucepan together with the
milk and vanilla and cook over moderate heat for 45 minutes or until
5. Drain the cooked chestnuts, reserving a little of the cooking
liquor, then place in a food processor and process until smooth,
adding a little of the cooking liquor if necessary. Alternatively,
pass through a fine sieve.
6. Transfer to a mixing bowl add the softened butter and mix
7. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over
moderate heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
Continue to boil for 8 minutes to form a syrup but do not allow it
8. Stir the hot syrup into the chestnut mixture. Adjust sweetness to
taste, adding a little more sugar if desired.
End of instructions