35mins plus cooling
100g/4oz Streaky Bacon, finely chopped
½ oz Butter
½ oz Flour
175g/6oz Flaky Pastry
4-6 tbsp Milk
1 Egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7 and roll out the pastry to
6mm/¼ inch thickness and divide into 8 squares.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the bacon and fry gently until
lightly coloured then add the flour and cook for 1 minute stirring.
3. Gradually add the milk little by little, stirring all the time, until
the mixture boils and thickens. Cook for 1 minute then add the pepper and
4. Place a spoonful of this mixture on the pastry squares, dampen edges
with a little beaten egg and fold over to form triangles. Press the edges well
together and knock up the edges with the back of a knife.
5. Put the parcels on a baking tray, brush the top of each with a little
beaten egg and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and risen.
6. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool .
Main equipment required to make
Key techniques required to make this
To Knock up - No No No ! The term used in pastry
making, when two edges of uncooked pastry are pressed
together and the cut edges are lightly scored with the
back of a knife to produce a better seal.