Mozzarella and Bread Brochettes
Cheese, cut into 4cm/1
1 small uncut White Loaf of Bread
100g/4oz Melted Butter
3 tinned Anchovy fillets, chopped
Salt and Black Pepper
1. Remove the crusts from the bread and cut into 4cm/1 ½ inch cubes. You
will need as many cubes of bread as you have of cheese plus 4 extra.
2. Place the cheese in a bowl and season generously with black pepper and
3. Thread alternate pieces of bread and cheese onto skewers, starting and
ending with a piece of bread.
4. Divide the melted butter
in half and use one half to brush the brochettes. Grill over medium hot barbecue coals,
turning from time to time and basting with melted butter until lightly browned.
5. Meanwhile, place the remaining butter in a small pan, add the anchovy
and cook, stirring from time to time, until
the anchovy has dissolved.
6. To serve - transfer the brochettes to serving plates
and pour the anchovy sauce over the top.
Main equipment required to make
Key techniques required to make this
Baste - To moisten with the pan juices or other
liquid during cooking. This aids in moisture retention.