Sausage and Spinach Flan
CD HT PIC 60mins
Picnics Savoury Tart
200g/7oz Shortcrust or Wholemeal
15g/½ oz Butter
225g/8oz Chipolata Sausages
1 Large Onion, chopped
25g/1oz Plain Flour
300ml/10 fl.oz. Milk
Salt and Pepper
50g/2oz Fresh Spinach, washed
1 Egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas mark 5. Roll out the pastry to 6mm/
¼ inch thickness and line an 18cm/7 inch flan tin.
2. Cut the sausages into thick slices diagonally. Melt the butter in a
frying pan add the
sausages and onion and fry gently for 5-8 minutes turning from time to time.
3. Meanwhile, cook the spinach in a large saucepan with only the water
left clinging to its leaves, for 2-3 minutes until just wilted. Drain well and
4. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage mixture and cook for 1 minute,
stirring. Then gradually add the milk, a little at a time, and continue to cook
for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to the boil and
5. Stir in the cooked spinach, salt and pepper and cook for a further
minute then stir in the egg and mix well.
6. Pour this mixture into the pastry case and bake for 45 minutes.
Cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
Can also be served hot.
| Summer Recipes | What's
Main equipment required to make
18cm/7 inch flan tin