Gnocchi with Beef Ragu
MC Italian 60mins
Keywords: Hot Beef Pork Offal Vegetables Alcohol Main
Course Italy Europe Eggless
For the Ragu
2 Onions, chopped
1 Carrot, grated
1 stick Celery, finely chopped
2 Bacon Rashers
100g/4oz Chicken Livers, finely chopped
2 tbsp Olive Oil
450g/1lb Minced Beef
2 teasp Plain Flour
150ml/5fl.oz. Strong Beef Stock
90ml/3fl.oz. Dry White or Red Wine
1 x 400g/14oz tin Chopped Tomatoes
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
Salt and Black Pepper
For the Potato Gnocchi
675g/1½ lb Floury Potatoes e.g. Maris Piper, King
Salt and Pepper
225g/8oz Plain Flour plus extra
1. Heat the butter in a large pan, add the vegetables and bacon and
fry until lightly browned. Add the meat and chicken livers and
continue to fry over a high heat until browned.
2. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for 1 minute, turning all the
time. Gradually add the stock, little by little, together with the
wine and bring to the boil stirring.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for at least
40 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
4. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes until completely tender. This can be
done by baking or boiling in their skins or cooking in the
microwave. Whichever method you choose, the potatoes should be as
dry as possible once cooked. Microwaving in their skins (pierced
with a fork or scored with a knife) is recommended as it quicker.
5. Once cooked, peel the potatoes then mash with a fork or potato
masher until smooth or pass through a ricer. Do not beat the mixture
or add any milk or butter.
6. Whilst still warm, place the potato in a large mixing bowl season
with salt and pepper then add ¾ of the flour and start mixing
together with a knife.