Frikadells (Meat Balls) HT MC
PFC Sri Lankan 65mins
Sri Lankan name: Mas Cutlis
Serves 4 Hot Beef Vegetables Spices Herbs
Main Course Sri Lanka Ceylon Ceylonese Asia Asian
450g/1lb Potato, peeled and cut into chunks
225b/8oz Minced Beef
Salt and Black Pepper
1 tbsp Vinegar
½ teasp Ground Cinnamon
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 tbsp freshly chopped Mint Leaves
1 Green Chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 Stick of Celery, finely chopped
A little flour
2 Eggs, beaten
50g/2oz Fresh Breadcrumbs
Oil for Deep frying
1. Boil the potatoes in plenty of salted water for about 20 minutes or until
2. Drain the cooked potatoes very well then mash. Do not add any butter or milk
to the potatoes. Set aside.
3. Season the mince with salt, pepper, cinnamon and vinegar then heat the oil in
a frying pan, add the beef and cook for 3-4 minutes until browned on all sides.
4. Add the onion, garlic, mint leaves, chili and celery and continue to cook,
stirring, for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, allow to cool a little, then add the mashed
potato mix well.
6. Take heaped tablespoons of the mixture and, using floured hands, roll into
small balls then dip each meatball into the egg before coating with the bread
7. Heat the oil to 180C/350F then deep fry the meat balls for a few minutes
until browned on all sides. You may have to do this in batches. Drain well on
kitchen paper. Serve hot with rice and chutney or sambols.
Excellent for buffets and parties too – just double or treble the quantities
More Beef Recipes |
General Beef/Veal Preparations
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.