Steak and Ale Pie HT
MC English 170mins
Hot Beef Vegetables Alcohol Herbs
Main Course England British Europe
1 tbsp Oil
900g/2lb Braising Steak, cut into 2.5cm/1-inch cubes
2 Onions, peeled and sliced lengthways
1 heaped tbsp Plain Flour
360ml/12fl.oz. Dark Ale (beer)
1 Bay Leaf
2 teasp Fresh Thyme Leaves
Salt and Black Pepper
100g/4oz Mushrooms, sliced
225g/8oz Puff Pastry
1 small Egg, beaten
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan until very hot, add the meat and fry until
well browned and sealed on all sides. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon
and set aside.
2. Reheat the oil in the pan, add the onions and sauté for a 3-4 minutes until
3. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes then gradually add the
ale, stirring constantly.
4. Return the meat to the pan together with the stock, bay leaf and thyme.
Season well with salt and pepper then cover and simmer gently for 1˝ - 2 hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7.
6. Add the mushrooms to the meat mix well then transfer to an ovenproof pie
7. Roll out the pastry large enough to cover the pie, dampen the edges of the
dish and place over the filling pressing down the edges.
8. Flute the edges with a fork or your fingers, brush with the beaten egg and
bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Serve hot.
Beef/Veal Recipes | General
Beef Prep & Cooking Times |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.