Saguenay HT MC Canadian 200mins
Serves 4-6 Hot Pork Venison Duck Veal
Vegetables Spices Main Course Canada Nth America North
225g/8oz Pork Shoulder Meat
225g/8oz Moose, Venison or Duck Meat
2 large Potatoes
2medium Onions, chopped
Salt and Pepper
400g/14oz Shortcrust Pastry
Water or Stock
1 Egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F Gas Mark 7 and chop all the meats and the
potatoes into 6mm/ ¼ -inch cubes
2. Place the meats and potatoes in a large mixing bowl together with the onions
and plenty of salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
3. Line a large deep pie dish with half of the pastry then fill with meat
mixture, pressing it down lightly.
4. Pour over sufficient water or stock to come to the same level as the meat.
5. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little beaten egg, cover with the
remaining pastry, seal the edges and crimp if desired. Brush the top with beaten
egg and make a 2.5cm/1-inch hole in the centre. Insert a pie chimney or make one
with a triple layer of tin foil – just wrap it around two of your fingers to
form a hollow tube.
6. Decorate the top with pastry leaves if desired, brushing them with beaten
egg, then bake for 15 minutes then lower oven temperature to 150C, 3F, Gas
mark 2 and continue to cook for a further 2½ hours.
7. 30 minutes before the end of the
cooking time, check to see if there is liquid in the chimney. If not, add a
little more boiling water or stock. Serve hot.
Pork/Bacon Recipes | General
Pork Prep & Cooking Times |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.