Makes Approx 1.1L/40fl.oz.
Cold Vegetables Accompaniment Sauces
Gravy Gluten Wheat Dairy
Soup Bones (these should have some meat on)
1/2 large Onion
2 large Carrots
1 Stick Celery,
(including the leaves if possible)
1/2 Large Potato,
cut into large chunks
4 whole black
2 sprigs of fresh
1 Bay Leaf
2 Sprigs Thyme
1 Garlic Clove,
1. Preheat the oven to to 230C, 450F Gas Mark 8.
2. Cut the onions and carrots into large chunks and place in a large shallow
roasting tin together with the bones. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or
until the bones are well browned. Turn from time to time.
3. Drain off the fat and place the browned bones, onion and carrots in a very
large saucepan. Pour a little water into the roasting tin, and scrape up the
residue with a wooden spoon. Swirl the water around the tin and pour into the
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan and bring to the boi. Reduce
the heat, cover and simmer for 5 hours, stirring from time to time.
5. Strain the stock, discarding the meat, vegetables, and seasonings.
Refrigerate until ready to use.