Beef in Burgundy
Beef Pork Vegetables Herbs Alcohol
Main Course Eggless France Europe
For the marinade
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Carrot, sliced
6 Peppercorns, lightly crushed
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Bottle Burgundy (red) Wine
1kg/2.2lbs Braising Beef, cut into 5cm/2inch
50g/2oz Pork Fat
2 tbsp Brandy
225g/8oz Button Onions
100g/4oz Button Mushrooms
1 tbsp Olive Oil
3 tbsp Plain Flour
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
4 sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and Black Pepper
1. Place all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add the beef, stir to coat and leave in a cool place for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
Stir from time to time.
2. Place the pork fat in a bowl and pour some boiling water over it. Leave for 3 minutes then drain and pat dry with kitchen paper. Return to the bowl, sprinkle with the Brandy and refrigerate.
3. After the marinating time, heat the butter in a frying pan, add the onion and mushroom, stir to coat well, partially cover and
sauté gently for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the meat from the marinade with a slotted spoon (reserving the marinade) and wipe dry on kitchen paper.
5. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole until very hot, add the meat and quickly brown on all sides to seal.
6. Sprinkle the flour over the meat and continue to cook over a high heat until browned.
7.Add the garlic and pork fat (together with the juice in which it has been soaked) and cook over a high heat for 2 minutes. Carefully ignite.
8. Add the reserved marinade and, if necessary, enough water so the meat is completely covered, together with the thyme, salt and pepper.
9. Cover and cook over a low heat for 2 hours. Alternatively, cook in the oven (180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4) for 2 hours.
10. 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the onions and mushrooms, re-cover and continue to cook for the remaining 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Very good for freezing.
More French Recipes
Beef/Veal Recipes | General
Beef Prep & Cooking Times |