Steak and Kidney Pudding Recipe
HT MC English 265mins
recipe is a popular dish served in the UK consisting of suet pastry
encasing melt in the mouth beef steak and kidney in a rich gravy.
Prep & Cook Time:
4 hours 25 mins
Hot Beef Offal Vegetables Alcohol Main Course Economical
Autumn Winter cooking England British Europe
25g/1oz Plain Flour
Salt and Black Pepper
675g/1 ½lb Braising Steak, cut into
175g/6oz Ox Kidney, cored and cubed
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
1 large Onion, chopped
150ml/5fl.oz. Beef Stock
150ml/5fl.oz. Brown Ale
1 Bay Leaf
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Tomato Purée
325g/12oz Suet Pastry
Season the flour with salt and pepper and use to coat the steak
and kidney on all sides. An easy way of doing this is to place the
flour in a large plastic bag, add the meats and shake well. Shake
off any excess flour but reserve as this extra flour will be added
to the dish for thickening.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic
and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Raise the heat, add the steak and kidney and seal on all sides,
then sprinkle over the flour and stir. Cook for a further 2 minutes
4. Gradually add the stock, ale, bay leaf, thyme, Worcestershire
sauce and tomato purée, mix well, bring to the boil then reduce the
heat to a bare simmer and cook for 1-½ - 2 hours.
5. On a floured surface, roll out 2/3rds of the suet pastry to
around 12mm/½-inch thickness and use to line a 1.1L/40fl.oz.
pudding basin heatproof pudding basin, leaving any excess pastry
hanging over the edges.
6. Spoon the cooked meat into the pastry lined basin and dampen the
top edge of the pastry with water.
7. Bring a large saucepan half filled with water to the boil.
8. Roll the remaining third of pastry into a circle a little larger
that the top of the basin. Use this to cover the pudding and seal
the edges together well.
9. Cover the top with a large circle of greaseproof paper and tie in
place with string.
10. Place in the pan of boiling water, ensuring the water comes
half-way up the sides of the basin. Reduce the heat, cover with a
lid and simmer for 2 hours, topping up with boiling water as
necessary. Serve hot.
End of instructions