Apricot and Pecan Simnel Cake
Makes 1 x
20cm/8-inch cake Cold Vegetarian Fruit
Nuts Easter Cakes
Recipe and Picture courtesy britegg.co.uk
175g/6oz butter, softened
175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
3 large Lion Quality eggs, beaten
225g/8oz self-raising flour, sieved
1 teaspoon baking powder
225g/8oz no-soak apricots, chopped
zest and juice of 1 orange
100g/4oz pecan nuts, chopped
675g1½ lb marzipan
3 tablespoons apricot jam, sieved
50g/2 oz plain chocolate, melted
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3/170 degrees C / 320 degrees F. Grease a 20cm
(8 inch) round, deep cake tin and line with baking parchment.
2. Place the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk
until smooth and glossy. Fold in the remaining ingredients and spoon into the
tin. Bake for 1-1½ hours until risen and firm.
3. Use a sharp knife to split the cake in half through the middle. Roll out two
thirds of the marzipan on an icing sugar-dusted surface and cut out two 20cm (8
inch) rounds. Brush both cut surfaces of the cake with jam and sandwich together
with one of the marzipan rounds.
4. Brush the top of the cake with jam and arrange the second marzipan round on
top, crimp the edges. Roll the remaining marzipan into eleven balls and arrange
on top of the cake, attaching with more jam.
5. Spoon the chocolate into a greaseproof paper piping bag and drizzle over the
top of the cake.
Cake Recipes | Bread
& Bun Recipes |
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart. Why not print it off for future reference. Convert all recipes written in metric or imperial quickly and easily. Metric/imperial users can do the same but the other way round - from
cups to grams or ounces.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.