Makes about 30 biscuits Cold
Vegetarian Cookies Baked Fayre
250g/9oz Butter, softened
100g/4oz Castor Sugar
1 tbsp freshly ground Cardamom
1 Egg Yolk
A pinch of Salt
2 teasp Vanilla Extract
250g/9oz Plain Flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, gas Mark 4 and line 2 or 3 baking trays with
parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and
2. Add the egg yolk, salt and vanilla extract and beat well with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the flour and continue to beat until well blended.
4. Form the mixture into small balls then place them on the baking trays spaced
well apart as they will spread. Slightly flatten each one with the palm of your
hand then bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart. Why not print it off for future reference.
Convert all recipes written in metric or imperial quickly and easily. Metric/imperial users can do the same but the other way round - from
cups to grams or ounces.
introduce air into a mixture using a utensil such as a wooden spoon, fork or
whisk, in order to achieve a lighter texture.
- to - The process where sugar and softened butter are beaten together
with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light, pale and well blended. This
process may also be carried out with a hand held mixer or in a food processor.
- The incorporation of fat into flour.Butter is cubed then gently rubbed between the thumb and
forefinger, lifting the mixing at the same time, until the fat is fully
incorporated and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.