Hot Cross Buns Recipe Veg
HT CD CBF 135mins
Hot cross buns are traditionally
eaten at Easter in the UK. This is a traditional Hot Cross Bun recipe
Makes 12 Hot Vegetarian Dried Fruit
150ml/5fl.oz. Warm Water
1 teasp Caster Sugar
1 tbsp Dried Yeast
450g/1lb Plain Flourt
A Pinch of Salt
1 teasp Mixed Spice
50g/2oz Caster Sugar
50g/2oz Cut Mixed Peel
60ml/2fl.oz. Warm Milk
1 egg, beaten
50g/2oz Butter, melted
2 level tbsp Granulated Sugar
1. Place the warm water in a bowl, stir in 1 teasp of caster Sugar then sprinkle
over the yeast and set aside until frothy.
2. Place the flour, salt, mixed spice, caster sugar, currants and mixed peel in
a large mixing bowl, mix thoroughly then make a well in the centre and pour in
the frothy yeast mixture, warm milk ,beaten egg and melted butter into the
centre. Mix to a dough.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until soft and
elastic then place back into the bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave in a warm
place to rise for around 1 hour, until doubled in size.
4. Once risen, turn onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 5
5. Divide the mixture into 12 rounds, place on a floured baking tray, spaced
well apart and make a deep cross in the top of each bun with a sharp knife.
Cover loosely with oiled clingfilm and leave to rise for about 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6. Once risen, bake for
25-35 minutes until golden brown. Turn out onto a wire rack.
Cake Recipes | Bread
& Bun Recipes |
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart. Why not print it off for future reference.