Russian Black Bread Veg CD CBF Russian
100mins plus proving
Makes 1 large Loaf Cold Vegetarian
120ml/4fl.oz. lukewarm Water
240ml/8fl.oz. Lukewarm Buttermilk
2 tbsp Molasses
2 tbsp Honey
1 pkt Active Dry Yeast
600g/1lb 6oz Whole Wheat Flour
150g/+5oz Rye Flour
1 tbsp Caraway Seed, crushed
1/2 teasp Fennel Seed, crushed
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
Extra oil for greasing
1. Place the water, buttermilk, molasses, honey, and yeast in a large mixing
bowl and stir well until the yeast dissolves. Set aside to stand for 5
2. Add about 200g/7oz of the flour to the yeast mixture or just enough to
form a thick batter. Stir well and leave to stand for about 20 minutes.
3. Stir the batter down, then add the remaining ingredients and mix to form
a thick dough.
4. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead for 5-10 minutes
until smooth and elastic.
5. Lightly oil a mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl, cover with a tea
towel and leave to rise for 40 minutes.
6. Lightly oil a 2-quart loaf pan and preheat oven to 180C, 350F, Gas
Mark 4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, form into
a large loaf and press into the oiled tin. Leave to rise for 20 minutes.
7. Bake the loaf
for about 50 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped and comes easily
out of the tin.