Sesame Bread Rings Veg CD CBF Egyptian 70mins
plus proving and cooling
Egyptian Name: Semeet
Makes 16 Rings Cold Vegetarian
Breads Rolls Baked Fayre Egypt North Africa Nth African
675g/1½ lb Plain Flour
1 teasp Salt
2 tbsp Butter
4 teasp Active Dry Yeast
2 tbsp Sugar
120ml/4fl.oz. Warm Water
100g/4oz Sesame Seeds
1. Sift together the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
2. Place the milk in a saucepan and bring almost to boiling point. Remove from
the heat, add the butter and allow to cool to lukewarm.
3. Meanwhile place the yeast, sugar and warm water in a small bowl and leave to
stand for about 5 minutes until bubbly.
4. Add the yeast mixture to the cooled milk, stir to mix then gradually add the
milk mixture to the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms
that does not stick to the sides of the bowl.
5.Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes
until smooth and elastic..
6. Form the dough into a ball, place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat all
surfaces with oil then cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm
place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
7. After the proving time, punch down the dough and using floured hands divide
it into 16 equal portions then roll each portion into a long, thin rope and join
together the ends of the rope to form a circle about 18cm/8-inches in diameter.
8. Place on oiled baking sheets or sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing at
least 5cm/2 inches apart.
9. Beat the egg together with a little water in a small bowl then brush each
ring with a little of the mixture. Sprinkle the rings with the sesame seeds then
leave to rise, uncovered for about 30 minutes in a warm place until doubled in
10. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, gas Mark 7. Bake the bread rings
for 8-10 minutes then lower the oven temperature 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and
continue to bake for a further 20 mins or until the bottoms sound hollow when
tapped. Cool on wire racks.