Sweet Bread Recipe
Veg CD CBF Portuguese 90mins plus proving
Portuguese name: Pao Doce
Makes 2 loaves Cold Vegetarian
Vegetables Baked Fayre Breads
1 pkt Active Dry Yeast
60ml/2fl.oz. Warm Water
2 tbsp Sugar
2 heaped tbsp Mashed Potatoes
½ teasp ground Ginger
1 teasp Salt
200g/7oz Castor Sugar
100g/4oz Butter, melted
450g/1lb White Flour (approx)
1. Place the yeast in a mixing bowl add the warm water and allow to dissolve
then stir in the 2 tablespoons sugar, potatoes and ginger, cover and leave for 5
2. Place the milk in a saucepan and bring to boiling point. Remove from the
heat, add the salt then allow to cool to lukewarm.
3. In separate small bowl, beat the eggs then gradually beat in the castor sugar
then add the egg mixture to the yeast mixture together with the melted butter
and mix well.
4. Stir in half of the flour, then the milk, mix briefly then add most of the
remaining flour and knead for 5 minutes, adding enough extra flour to make a
5. Turn onto a floured work surface and knead for a further 8-10 minutes, until
the dough is smooth and elastic.
6. Place in a lightly oiled mixing bowl, cover with a damp tea towel or
clingfilm and leave to rise for about 1 hour until doubled.
7. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, knead briefly then divide
the mixture into two, shape each into a loaf and place into 2 greased loaf tins.
Cover loosely with a damp tea towel or clingfilm and leave to rise for about 45
8. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, gas Mark 3, uncover the loaves and bake for
about 45 minutes.