Makes 12 Cold Vegetarian
Bread Baked Fayre Finland Scandinavian
Finnish Name: Pikkupullat
300ml/10fl.oz. Milk (approx)
50g/2oz Fresh Yeast or 25g/1oz Dried Yeast
100g/4oz Butter, melted
1 teasp salt
1 tbsp Ground Cardamom
900g/2lb Plain Flour (approx)
Beaten Egg to glaze
Sugar to sprinkle
1. Place the milk in a large saucepan and heat until lukewarm then dissolve the
yeast in the warm milk.
2. Stir in melted butter, egg, sugar, salt and cardamom then add enough flour to
make a thick mixture and beat until shiny.
3. Add most of the remaining flour to the dough mix as much as possible then
turn onto a floured work surface and until smooth and elastic.
4. Form the dough into a ball, place in a large lightly oiled bowl, cover with
clingfilm and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
5. Turn the risen dough onto a floured surface and shape it into small round
buns. Place on baking trays, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise again for
about 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7.
6. Brush the risen buns with beaten egg, sprinkle with sugar then bake for about
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
introduce air into a mixture using a utensil such as a wooden spoon, fork or
whisk, in order to achieve a lighter texture.
- to - The process where sugar and softened butter are beaten together
with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light, pale and well blended. This
process may also be carried out with a hand held mixer or in a food processor.
- The incorporation of fat into flour.Butter is cubed then gently rubbed between the thumb and
forefinger, lifting the mixing at the same time, until the fat is fully
incorporated and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.