Cornbread Recipe Veg HT CD CBF American 40mins
Serves 6-8 Hot
Cold Vegetarian Breads Baked Fayre Accompaniment
Corn Bread Gluten Wheat Free
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil or Fat e.g. Crisco, Trex
1 teasp Baking Powder
1 teasp Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
275g/10oz Cornmeal, preferably Stone-Ground
2 large Eggs
¾ teasp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
1. Start preheating the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7. Place the oil or
shortening in a 20cm/8 -inch square ovenproof baking dish. Place the dish in the
oven and heat until very hot (smoking).
2. Meanwhile, place the cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in
a large mixing bowl and whisk to mix thoroughly.
3. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, add buttermilk, mix well then add the
mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir erything until just blended.
4. Once the oil is very hot, remove the dish from the oven and immediately pour
in the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cornbread is
is brown and firm.
Traditionally served at Thanksgiving, particularly in the Southern United
& Bun Recipes |
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.