Makes 1 x 17.5cm/7-inch cake Cold
Vegetarian Cakes Baked Fayre Teatime Scotland
Ingredients For the cake 175g/6oz Butter
175g/6oz Soft Brown Sugar
Grated Zest of 1 Orange
3 Eggs, Beaten
175g/6oz Self Raising Flour
4 tbsp Whisky For the Butter Icing 175g/6oz Icing Sugar
2 tbsp Clear Honey
Juice from the Orange To decorate
Toasted Flaked Almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5 and grease two 17.5cm/7 inch
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and
fluffy. Add the orange rind and mix well.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
4. Add the flour and whiskey and mix well.
5. Divide the mixture equally between the two tins levelling the tops, then bake
for 20-25 minutes until light golden. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
6. Make the butter icing by placing the butter into a large mixing bowl together
with the honey and one tablespoon of the orange juice and mix together.
7. Sift in the icing sugar a little at a time beating the mixture until the
ingredients are well combined.
8. Assembly - Sandwich the cakes together with half of the butter icing then
smooth the remaining butter icing over the top of the cake and sprinkle with the
introduce air into a mixture using a utensil such as a wooden spoon, fork or
whisk, in order to achieve a lighter texture.
- to - The process where sugar and softened butter are beaten together
with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light, pale and well blended. This
process may also be carried out with a hand held mixer or in a food processor.
- The incorporation of fat into flour.Butter is cubed then gently rubbed between the thumb and
forefinger, lifting the mixing at the same time, until the fat is fully
incorporated and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.