Cakes HT CD CBF English
90mins plus proving
Hot Cold Dried Fruit Baked Fayre
Breads Bread tea Time England Britain
1 ½ teasp Dried Yeast
1 pinch Sugar
300ml/10fl.oz. Warm Water
450g/1lb Strong White flour
1 teasp Salt
75g/3oz Lard, diced
75g/3oz Butter, cubed
50g/2oz Chopped Mixed Peel
1. Sprinkle the dried yeast into the warm water with the pinch of sugar and
allow to stand for 15 minutes until frothy.
2. Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and rub in 15g/ ½oz of the
lard with your fingertips.
3. Make a well in the centre of the
mixture, pour in the yeast liquid and beat together to make a dough, adding more
water if necessary so that the mixture is stiff enough to leave the sides of the
4. Turn on to a lightly floured
surface and knead well for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl, over with
a tea-towel and leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in
5. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and roll out to a rectangle about
6mm/¼- inch) thick.
6. Dot one-third of the remaining lard
and butter over the surface of the dough, sprinkle one-third of the fruit, peel
and sugar over the surface then fold the bottom third up and the top third down.
Give a quarter turn to the right, then roll out again repeat the whole process
7. Roll the dough out to fit a greased 20 x 25 cm (8 x 10 inch) roasting tin,
cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes, until puffed
8. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220
C, 425F, Gas mark 7.
9. Once puffy, score the top in a
criss-cross pattern with a knife, then bake for about 30 minutes until well
risen and golden brown. Serve hot or cold, plain or with butter.