Makes approx 24 doughnuts Hot Cold
Vegetarian Cakes Baked Fayre Dairy Free Eggless Tunisia Nth Africa North African
60ml/2fl.oz. Vegetable Oil
60ml/2fl.oz. Orange Juice
2 tbsp freshly Grated or desiccated Coconut
250g/9oz Plain Flour
1 ½ teasp Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking soda)
Vegetable Oil for deep frying For the Syrup 225g/8oz Sugar
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Place the eggs, oil, orange juice, 1 tablespoon of the coconut, and sugar in
a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
2. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl then sift in flour and baking
soda and knead to a soft dough, adding a little water if necessary. Cover bowl
and set aside to rest for 1 hour.
3. Just before you are ready to cook the doughnuts, make the syrup by placing
the sugar, water and lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring and
cook until the sugar dissolves.
4. Reduce the heat then stir in the honey and the remaining 1 tablespoon of the
coconut and simmer for 10 minutes. Keep warm.
5. Heat the deep fat fryer to 180C/350F.
6. Form the dough into balls about the size of a large walnut, then flatten
slightly and punch a hole through centre using your finger which has been dipped
7. Deep fry a few doughnuts at a time for about 4 minutes until golden brown on
all sides. Drain on Kitchen paper.
8. Dip each doughnut into the warm syrup and serve immediately.
introduce air into a mixture using a utensil such as a wooden spoon, fork or
whisk, in order to achieve a lighter texture.
- to - The process where sugar and softened butter are beaten together
with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light, pale and well blended. This
process may also be carried out with a hand held mixer or in a food processor.
- The incorporation of fat into flour.Butter is cubed then gently rubbed between the thumb and
forefinger, lifting the mixing at the same time, until the fat is fully
incorporated and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.