about 40 bread sticks
oz. Butter, melted
1/2lb. Strong Plain Flour
1. In a small bowl or cup[, blend the yeast with 3 tablespoons
of the milk. Sift flour and salt into a bowl then make a well in the
centre and pour in the yeast liquid and remaining milk. Draw enough
of the flour into the liquid to make a thick batter. Sprinkle the
top with a little flour and leave in a warm place for 15-20 minutes
2. Pour the melted butter onto the yeast mixture then draw the rest
of the flour into the centre and mix thoroughly to form a smooth
3. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Place in a
bowl, cover with a damp cloth or clingfilm and leave in a warm place
for 1 hour to prove.
4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes. Break into
small pieces and shape into sticks, 17.5cm/7 ins long and about
2.5cm/1 inch thick. Place on a greased baking sheet and leave to
rise in a warm place for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F,
Gas mark 6.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180C, 350F,
Gas mark 4 and bake for a further 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Cool on a wire tray.