18cm/7 inch Cake Cold
Vegetarian Cakes Baked Fayre
Grated Rind of 1 Lemon
Preheat the oven to 180C, 350C, Gas mark 4 and grease an
18cm/7inch cake tin with 25g/1oz of the butter and line the base
with greaseproof paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream the rest of the butter and sugar together
until light and fluffy then gradually beat in the eggs with a little
of the flour.
3. Mix the remaining flour, ground rice and lemon rind in a bowl
then gradually mix into the creamed mixture with enough milk to make
a soft dropping consistency.
4. Place the mixture in the tin and smooth over the surface. Bake
for about 1 hour, then cover top of the cake with greaseproof paper
and cook for a further 20 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven, allow to sit for a couple of minutes then
turn out of the tin and cool on a wire rack.
End of instructions
Key techniques required to make this
cook in an enclosed oven
introduce air into a mixture using a utensil such as a wooden spoon, fork or
whisk, in order to achieve a lighter texture.
- to - The process where sugar and softened butter are beaten together
with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light, pale and well blended. This
process may also be carried out with a hand held mixer or in a food processor.