Heat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas mark 5 and place 10 paper fairy
cake cases evenly on a baking tray. Sift the flour and cocoa on to a
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar with a
wooden spoon until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Add the egg to
the creamed fat and sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well
after each addition.
3. Fold in half the flour and cocoa with a metal spoon, then add the
remaining flour and cocoa and sufficient water to give a mixture
soft enough to drop easily from the spoon when this shaken.
4. One third fill each paper case and bake towards the top of the
oven for 15-20 minutes, until the buns are well-risen and firm to
5. Meanwhile, make the filling by creaming together the icing sugar
and butter together with the vanilla essence.
6. Remove the cakes from the oven and cool on a wire rack. When they
are cold, cut a round from the top of each with the pointed knife.
Fill the hole with some butter cream mixture and pop the removed
round back on.
introduce air into a mixture using a utensil such as a wooden spoon, fork or
whisk, in order to achieve a lighter texture.
- to - The process where sugar and softened butter are beaten together
with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light, pale and well blended. This
process may also be carried out with a hand held mixer or in a food processor.