Crispy Noodles with Aubergine Veg
HT Chinese ACC
Hot Chi Vegetarian
Herbs Accompaniment China Asia Asian
1 Aubergine, (eggplant) cut into 1cm/˝ inch cubes
450g/1lb Fresh Wheat Noodles
2 tbsp Sherry
1 tbsp Cornflour
60ml/2fl.oz. Red Wine Vinegar
1 tbsp Freshly grated Ginger
1 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Fish Sauce
2 Onions, sliced
3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
4 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 Red Capsicum (Sweet Pepper), deseeded
and thinly sliced
50g/2oz Dry Roasted Peanuts
Freshly chopped Mint to garnish
1. Place the aubergine cubes into a colander. Sprinkle with salt and toss well. Let it stand for 15 minutes, then rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes, until tender. Drain, rinse well with cold water, and allow the noodles drain in a colander for at least 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, mix the sherry together with the cornflour and set aside.
4. In a saucepan combine the red wine vinegar, water, ginger, sugar, fish sauce and onions. Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan , add the drained aubergine, and sauté
for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the garlic and capsicum and cook for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the aubergine softens.
6. Add the onion/vinegar mixture and the cornflour/sherry mixture and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
7. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan until it begins to smoke, then add the noodles. Place two or three plates on top of them so that more surface area will brown and allow them to sit over a medium high heat for 5 minutes until golden brown. Remove the plates, turn the noodles over with a spatula and cook them 5 minutes on the other side. Remove the pan from the heat.
8. Meanwhile, stir the peanuts to the aubergine mixture and keep warm over a low heat.
9. To serve - transfer the aubergine mixture to a warmed serving platter, divide the noodles into four and place them on top of the vegetable. Garnish with mint and serve immediately.