Mandarin Pancakes Veg Chinese
Hot Chi Vegetarian Accompaniment Dairy
Free Eggless China Asia Asian
225g/8oz Plain Flour
240ml/8fl.oz. Boiling Water
2 tbsp Sesame Oil
1. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and gradually add the boiling water, a little at a time, beating well between each addition.
2. Knead the dough well (about 5 minutes) then cover and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
3. After the resting time, turn onto a lightly floured surface and form the dough into a long roll about 5cm/2 inches in diameter. Cut the roll into 1cm/1/2 inch slices and roll each slice into a pancake about 15cm/6 inches in diameter.
4. Brush the tops of two pancakes with a little sesame oil then sandwich, oiled sides, together. Repeat the process with all the pancakes.
5. Heat an ungreased heavy frying pan until very hot then place one of the sandwiched pancakes in the pan and cook for 3 minutes each side. The pancakes will form brown spots and start to bubble when cooked.
6. Remove from the pan, pull the two pancakes apart then fold each in half, oiled side inwards. Stack on a heatproof plate and keep warm whilst you cook the remaining pancakes in the same manner.
7. Once all the pancakes are cooked, place in a steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
8. To serve - either serve immediately or cool and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Steam again for 5-6 minutes before serving.
These are often served with Crispy duck.
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.