Chi Accompaniment Vegetarian Dairy free Eggless
China Asia Asian
550g/1-1/4lb Aubergine (eggplant)
freshly grated Ginger
Garlic Cloves, crushed
teasp dried Chili Flakes
Water Chestnuts, chopped
Spring Onions, chopped
Red wine Vinegar
toasted Sesame Seeds,
1. Cut the aubergine into strips 1cm/1/2 inch wide by 5cm/2 inches long.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sugar and stock. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil in a large frying pan until very hot and
almost smoking then add half of the aubergine and stir fry for 4-5 minutes. Remove
from the pan and set aside.
Add a further 2 tablespoons of peanut oil to the pan, reheat until very hot then stir fry the remaining uncooked aubergine for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside with the first batch of aubergine.
5. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of peanut oil to the frying pan and heat until hot. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli and
sauté gently until softened.
6. Add the water chestnuts and half of the spring onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Increase heat to high, then add the soy sauce mixture and the cooked aubergine. Toss quickly over high heat for 1-2 minutes until the sauce has reduced and been absorbed by the aubergine.
7. Stir in vinegar and sesame oil and mix well.
8. To serve - transfer to a warmed serving dish. Sprinkle the remaining chopped spring onions and sesame seeds over the top.
Vegetable Recipes | What's
in Season |
More Chinese Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.