HT CD DP Greek Turkish 75mins plus standing
Makes 36 pieces Hot Cold
Filo Dessert Pudding Pastries Baked Fayre Greece Turkey Europe Mediterranean
400g/14oz Phyllo Pastry
400g/14oz Finely chopped Almonds or Walnuts
1 teasp Ground Cinnamon
½ teasp Ground Cloves
For the Syrup
The juice of 1 Lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and butter two 20x28cm 8x12
inch baking tins. Use tins that are about 5cm/2-inches deep.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together walnuts or almonds (or half and half),
sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
3. Butter 4 pieces of filo pastry and place in the buttered tin, trimming any
excess if necessary, one on top of the other. Make sure you keep the unbuttered
pastry covered with a damp cloth. Sprinkle the 4 sheets of pastry with a thin
layer of the nut mixture then butter two more pasty sheets and place over the
top of the nut mixture. Repeat in same manner until all ingredients have been
used, ending with 4 pastry sheets.
4. Brush the top with butter and trim any edges with sharp knife. Cut
diagonal lines the length of the tin to make diamond shaped pieces then sprinkle
with water and bake for about 1 hour or until golden.
5. 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, place the honey, water,
sugar and lemon juice in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, and continue to
boil for about 5 minutes.
6. Remove the cooked baklava from the oven and pour the hot syrup evenly over
the hot pastry. Allow to stand for 30 minutes to cool a little, then re-cut the
diamonds. Serve warm or at room temperature.