Bread and Butter
Pudding with Dates
Veg HT DP Australian 70mins
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Fruit Dessert
Pudding Australia Oceania Pacific
6 slices White Bread, crusts removed and well buttered
175g/6oz Dates, pitted and chopped
50g/2oz Caster Sugar
1 teasp Vanilla Essence
½ teasp Freshly grated Nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas mark 3. Grease a 7.5cm/3 inch deep
2. Remove the crusts from the buttered bread and cut into quarters (triangles or
squares), place half in the bottom of the prepared dish sprinkle with the
chopped dates then arrange the remaining bread triangles, buttered side up, over
3. In a saucepan, heat the milk to hot but not boiling. In a large bowl, mix
together the eggs, vanilla and sugar then add the hot milk, stirring well.
4. Slowly strain over the bread and fruit, being careful not to dislodge the top
layer of bread. Leave the bread and butter pudding to stand for 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the bread and butter pudding with a little extra sugar and grated nutmeg then bake in the oven
for 30-40 minutes until the top is browned and crispy.
Dessert Recipes |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.