Ginger Damson Pudding
Veg HT DP English 125mins
Fruit Spices Dessert Puddings England British Europe
4 tbsp Golden Syrup
1 x 7.5cm/3-inch Stick of Cinnamon
75g/3oz Caster Sugar
100g/4oz Self-Raising Flour
A little Milk
1 tbsp Freshly Grated Root Ginger
1. Place the damsons in a large
saucepan together with 2 tablespoons of golden syrup and the cinnamon stick. Mix
well then place on a low heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring from time
2. Remove from the heat, allow to cool then remove the stones.
3. Grease a 900ml/1½ pt
pudding basin. Pour the remaining golden syrup into the bottom then add
the damson mixture. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl ream together the butter and sugar until pale and
5. Add the eggs a little at a
time, mixing well between each addition then add the flour and ginger beating
well, adding a little milk if necessary.
6. Pour the pudding mixture over the damson mixture in the basin, cover with
greaseproof paper, secure with string and place in a steamer or a large saucepan
with enough boiling water to come to within 5cm/2 inches on the top of the
7. Cook steadily for 1 hour 30 minutes keeping an eye on the water level and
topping up as necessary.
Serve hot with a