Gingered Apricot Pancakes
HT DP 35mins
Apricots spiced with stem ginger and served hot over pancakes.
Makes 6 x 20cm/8-inch pancakes - Serves 2
Hot Vegetarian Fruit Dessert Pudding
Pancake Day Shrove Tuesday
For the Apricots
60ml/2fl.oz. Maple Syrup or Honey
The juice of 2 Oranges
1 tbsp finely chopped Stem Ginger
5 Apricots, halved and stoned
For the Pancakes
50g/2oz Plain Flour
A pinch of Salt
Vegetable Oil for frying
1. Place the maple syrup and orange juice in a frying pan which is
large enough to take all the fruit in one layer and heat to
simmering point over a medium heat, stirring to blend well.
2. Add the chopped stem ginger, mix well and cook for 1 minute
before adding the apricots, cut sides up, and cook for 3-4 minutes,
spooning the liquid over the apricots from time to time.
3. Bring the apricot mixture to the boil, then boil for a 2-3
minutes to slightly reduce and thicken the liquid. Cover and keep
warm whilst you make the pancakes. 4. Place the flour, salt, milk
and egg in a large bowl or jug and whisk until smooth and lump free.
Transfer to a measuring jug
5. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a frying pan until very hot, then pour
most of it into a heatproof container, leaving just enough oil to
coat the pan.
6. Pour in a little of the batter, tilting the pan to evenly cover
the base with a thin layer. Fry over a moderate heat until the
underside is golden. This will only take 1-2 minutes.
7. Using a palette knife, loosen the edges turn the pancake over and
cook the other side for about 30 seconds until golden.
8. Remove to a plate, cover with foil and place in a warm oven
whilst you cook the remaining pancakes in the same way. Interleave
each pancake with greaseproof or parchment paper so they don’t stick