Halvas Tou Fournou Veg
CD DP Greek 60mins plus cooling
Makes 1 x 20cm/8-inch cake Cold
Vegetarian Dessert Pudding Greece Europe Mediterranean
50g/2oz Plain Flour
2 teasp Baking Powder
1/4 teasp Salt
100g/4oz finely chopped Pine Nuts
3 Eggs, beaten
The grated zest of ˝ a Lemon
For the syrup
2.5cm/1-inch piece of Cinnamon Stick
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and lightly grease a
20cm/8-inch cake. Sift together four, baking powder and salt; into a large
mixing bowl then mix in the semolina and nuts.
2. In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs and a little of the milk and mix well.
3. Add the semolina mixture a little at a time, stirring after each addition
and adding more of the milk as you go. Beat until just smooth.
4. Stir in the grated lemon zest then pour into the greased tin and bake for
about 45 minutes.
5. 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, place the sugar, water,
cloves and cinnamon in a saucepan, bring to the boil then continue to boil for
about 5 minutes.
6. To serve - as soon as the baked Halva comes out of the oven pour the syrup
over the top, having removed the cinnamon and cloves. Allow to cool then cut
into squares. Serve with whipped cream.
Dessert Recipes |