Spiced Sweet Potato Pie
Veg CD DP 60mins plus cooling
Makes 1x9-inch flan Cold
Vegetarian Flans Tarts Nuts Spices Dessert Pudding
250g/9oz Shortcrust Pastry
400g/14oz cooked Sweet Potatoes, peeled
120ml/4fl.oz. Double Cream
100g/4oz Light Brown Sugar
2 large Eggs, lightly beaten
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
1 teasp Ground Cinnamon
1 teasp Ground Ginger
1/2 teasp Ground Nutmeg
A pinch of Salt
2 tbsp Orange Juice
50g/2oz Unsalted Butter
120ml/4fl.oz. Golden Syrup
50g/2oz Walnut Halves
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to approximately 6mm/1/4
inch and use to line a 22cm/9-inch flan tin.
3. Lightly prick the base of the pastry with a fork and line with greaseproof
paper and fill with baking beans.
4. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the greaseproof paper and baking
beans and set aside. Turn the oven down to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5.
5. Meanwhile, place the mashed sweet potato, cream, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla,
spices and orange juice in a large mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.
6. Pour the mixture into the partially baked pie crust, level the top and bake
for 20 minutes.
7. Place the butter, golden syrup and walnuts in a small saucepan and heat
8. After the initial 20 minute cooking time, sprinkle the golden syrup mixture
evenly over top of the pie then return to the oven and continue to bake for a
further 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool in the tin and serve with cream.
Dessert Recipes |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.