HT DP South African 40mins
South African Name: Souskluitjies
Hot Vegetarian Dessert
Pudding S. Africa
125g/-5oz Plain Flour
2 teasp Baking Powder
A pinch of Salt
15g/ ½ oz Butter
1. Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl, mix well then
rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles
2. In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk then add to the flour mixture
and mix well.
3. Place some water in a large saucepan to a depth of 5cm/2-inches, add a
pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
4. Using a teaspoon, quickly drop spoonfuls of the dough into the boiling
water. Dipping the spoon in boiling water between each scoop will help the
mixture to fall easily into the pan.
5. Cover with tight fitting lid, reduce the heat slightly and cook for 10
minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID DURING THE COOKING TIME.
6. Remove the pan from the heat, pour off any excess water and transfer the
dumplings to a serving bowl, dot with butter and sprinkle with plenty of
cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately with custard.
Dessert Recipes | What's