Vegetarian Christmas Pudding
Veg HT DP 180mins
Serves 4-6 Hot Vegetarian Dried Fruit
Alcohol Spices Dessert Pudding
50g/2oz Self Raising Flour
½ teasp Ground Cinnamon
½ teasp Mixed spice
½ teasp Ground Ginger
50g/2oz Dark Brown Sugar
50g/2oz Glace Cherries, halved
50g/2oz Dates, chopped
25g/1oz Candied Peel, chopped
1 Small Apple, grated
50g/2oz Fresh Breadcrumbs
1 tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup
1 Egg, beaten
The Juice and grated Zest of 1 small Lemon
1. Place the flour, spices and sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Rub the butter into this mixture until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the sultanas, raisins, dates, candied peel, grated apple and
breadcrumbs and mix well.
4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, egg, brandy, lemon juice
and zest then add to the fruit mixture and mix well to blend thoroughly.
5. Lightly grease a 600ml/20fl.oz. heatproof pudding bowl with butter then turn
the pudding mixture into the bowl.
6. Cover with a large piece of greaseproof paper and a double layer of foil,
both with a centre pleat to allow for expansion and secure with string.
7. Place the pudding in a saucepan with sufficient boiling water to come just
below the rim of the basin and steam for about 2 ½ hours until darkened and firm
to the touch, topping up with extra boiling water as necessary.
Allow to cool a little before turning out.
Once cooked, they can be stored for 1 – 2 months in an airtight tin. When you're
ready to serve the pudding simply re-steam for about 45 minutes.
Dessert Recipes |