Orange Angel Food Cake Recipe
DP 90mins plus cooling
4 Desserts cold Puddings
tbsp Lemon Juice
tbsp Cream of Tartar
teasp Vanilla Essence
of 1/2 Lemon
tbsp Caster Sugar
Egg Yolk, beaten
tbsp Dark Rum
Heat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas mark 4. Have ready a dry and
ungreased 22cm/9 inch angel cake or tube tin. Sieve the flour with
the cornflour and salt. Sieve the caster sugar separately. Add
75g/3oz of the sifted sugar to the flour.
2. Lightly whisk together the egg whites and lemon juice. Continue
whisking until foamy, then add the cream of tartar and whisk until
stiff but not dry. Whisk in the remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time.
If using an electric whisk, start adding the sugar immediately after
the cream of tartar to avoid the risk of over-beating. Whisk in the
3. Sieve the flour mixture, 2 tbsp at a time, over the whisked
whites and fold in quickly and gently but thoroughly.
4. When all the flour has been incorporated, turn the mixture into
the tin. Smooth the surface and draw a palette knife through the
mixture to release any large air bubbles. Bake immediately for about
45 minutes or until the surface springs back when gently pressed.
5. Remove from the oven and stand the tin upside down on a wire
rack. Leave for at least 1 hour or until the cake is quite cold and
6. Meanwhile, finely grate the zest from 1 orange and reserve.
Squeeze the juice of all the oranges and pour into a measuring jug.
Add the orange zest and lemon juice and make up to 600ml /1 pt with
water. Pour into a small saucepan and bring it to the boil.
7. Blend the cornflour with 2 tbsp water and add to the sauce.
Simmer stirring, for 2-3 minutes until it is thick and translucent.
8. Remove from the heat, add the sugar and butter and stir until the
sugar is dissolved. Then pour in a thin stream on to the egg yolk
beating constantly. Return the mixture to a clean pan and stir over
very low heat for 1-2 minutes until the sauce has thickened
slightly. Do not boil. Strain into a sauce-boat. Cool slightly then
stir in the rum.
9 . Transfer the angel food cake to a serving plate. Serve with the
End of instructions