Caramelised Chestnuts CD
Veg DP 55mins
Cold Nuts Alcohol Vegetarian
Dessert Pudding Gluten Wheat
Chestnuts, shelled and skinned
Orange Juice (see
Brandy or Cognac
Vanilla Ice Cream
to serve (check ingredients label for GF/Eggless)
1. Place chestnuts in a saucepan together with the water milk. Bring to the
boil then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender, but
not breaking up.
2. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain and dry
thoroughly. They must be dry in order for the toffee mixture to stick to them.
3. Meanwhile, place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat gently
until the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, turn up the heat
and boil until golden. This can take up to 10 minutes but keep a watchful eye on
it after the first 4-5 minutes as the slightest overcooking will burn the
caramel. Do not stir the mixture whilst it is cooking.
4. Meanwhile, lightly oil a baking sheet with a bland oil such as groundnut
and set aside. Spear each chestnut with a cocktail stick. Set aside.
5. As soon as the mixture turns an amber colour, remove from the heat so that
it won't continue cooking and burn.
6. Dip the each chestnut, one at a time, into the toffee and remove to the
lightly oiled sheet. You must work quickly so the toffee doesn't harden. Set
aside to set.
6. To what's left of the toffee in the pan, add an equal amount of water and
orange juice. Bring to the boil and cook until the toffee has softened and
melted. Add the cream and brandy, mix well and allow to cool.
7. To serve - place some ice cream in the centre of 4 individual shallow
serving dishes or glasses. Pour the caramel over and around the ice cream and
place the chestnuts on top. Serve immediately.
Dessert Recipes |