Plum Soufflé Veg
Vegetarian Fruit Desserts
lb Ripe Plums, stoned and quartered
6 tbsp Water
50g/2oz Butter plus extra for greasing
1 tbsp Dried Breadcrumbs
50g/2oz Plain Flour
300ml/10fl.oz. Warm Milk
3 Large Eggs, separated
The grated rind of 1 Orange
1. Place the fruit in a large saucepan together with the sugar and water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5. Lightly grease a 1.7L/3 pint
soufflé dish and coat the greased parts evenly with the breadcrumbs.
3. Place 2/3rds of the plum mixture in the bottom of the
soufflé dish together with the juices and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
5. Gradually add the warm milk, and bring to the boil stirring constantly. Continue to cook until thickened then remove from the heat and cool slightly.
6. Beat in the egg yolks and orange rind together with the remaining plum mixture. Mix well.
7. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff then stir in 1 tablespoon of the egg whites into the plum mixture to
lighten it a little.
8. Fold in the remaining egg whites into the mixture using a metal spoon or
9. Pour this mixture into the prepared soufflé dish then stand in a roasting tin containing 2.5cm/1 inch of hot water. Bake for
30-35 minutes until well risen and golden. Serve immediately.
Dessert Recipes |