Scottish Clootie Dumpling
Hot Dried Fruit Dessert Pudding Eggless
Scotland British Europe
175g/6oz Self Raising Flour
175g/6oz Brown Breadcrumbs
1 teasp Bicarbonate of Soda
2 teasp Ground Cinnamon
1 teasp Ground Ginger
100g/4oz Soft Dark Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Golden Syrup
1. Place a clean tea towel (cloot) in boiling water to soften.
2. Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and beat together to form a fairly soft consistency.
3. Wring out the tea towel and lay flat on a surface. Dredge well with flour then place the mixture in the centre. Gather up the sides evenly and tie with string, making sure you leave enough air in the parcel so the pudding can expand.
4. Place a heatproof plate in the bottom of a large saucepan and add enough water to cover the pudding. Bring to the boil then carefully lower the pudding onto the plate.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2½ to 3 hours.
6. To serve - drain well and untie the cloth. Gently ease away the cloth and invert onto a large plate. Carefully peel back the cloth from the dumpling and serve very hot.
A vegetarian variety can be made by using vegetable suet.
Dessert Recipes |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.