Baked Macaroni Cheese HT
Serves 4 Vegetarian Pasta Main
This is a firm favourite with young and old alike. This
version is made more interesting by the crunchy topping. For a
non-vegetarian meal, serve with rashers of crispy bacon.
275g/10oz Short Macaroni
Salt and Pepper
A large pinch Cayenne
175g/6oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
25g/1oz Fresh Breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to. 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5. Bring a large pan of
heavily salted water to the boil, add the macaroni and cook for 8
minutes or until just tender.
2. Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Gradually add the milk, little by little, stirring all the time and cook
gently until the sauce thickens.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in 100g/4oz of the cheese, salt, pepper
and cayenne. On a plate, mix together the breadcrumbs and remaining
4. Once cooked, drain the macaroni well and return to the rinsed
out pan over a very low heat. Add the cheese sauce and stir to mix
5. Pour the macaroni mixture into a shallow flameproof dish, top with
the breadcrumb mixture and bake in for 15-20 minutes until the top
is browned and crisp.
More Family Friendly Recipes
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.