Chicken with Sweet Potato HT
4 Poultry Vegetables Main Course Dairy Free Eggless
Sweet potatoes are now widely available from supermarkets and are
a wonderful substitute for ordinary potatoes with the added bonus of being rich
in carbohydrates and god source of vitamins A (beta-carotene), B6 and C,
iron, calcium and manganese.
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts, skinned
Salt and Black Pepper
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
400g/14oz Sweet Potato, peeled and cubed
200g/7oz Mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 teasp Dried Thyme
1 tbsp Plain Flour
480ml/16fl.oz. Chicken Stock
2 teasp Mustard
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cut each in half widthways. Heat
the oil in a large saucepan, add the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove
chicken from pan with tongs.
2. Reheat the oil in the pan, add the onion, sweet potato, mushrooms and thyme
and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes adding a little water if necessary to
prevent the mixture from sticking.
3. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring gently, for 1 minute then
gradually add the stock, mustard, salt and pepper, mix well and bring to the
boil stirring constantly.
4. Return the chicken to the pan, mix well then cover and simmer for 20-25
minutes or until chicken and sweet potatoes are cooked through.
More Family Friendly Recipes
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.