Baked Stuffed Pike HT
MC Finnish 90mins
Finnish Name: Uunihauki
Serves 4 Hot Fish Alcohol
Grains Herbs Gluten Wheat Free Finland Scandinavia Scandinavian Europe
1 whole Fresh Pike (approx 1.2kg/2˝lb in weight)
cleaned, scaled and gutted
120ml/4fl.oz. White Wine
100g/4oz Short Grain Rice
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp Softened Butter
2 tbsp Freshly Chopped Chives
2 tbsp Freshly Chopped Dill
1. Rub salt on the inside and outside of the pike and place in a greased shallow
ovenproof dish. Set aside.
2. Place rice and water in a medium saucepan, season with salt, bring to the
boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 25- 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, boil the eggs in water for 10 minutes then rinse under cold water,
remove the shells, place the eggs in a mixing bowl and mash until very fine. Set
aside until the rice is cooked.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6.
5. Once the rice is cooked, drain well then add to the mashed eggs together with
the butter, dill, chives, salt and pepper and stir well to blend thoroughly.
6. Fill the cavity of the pike with the rice mixture then close up with skewers
or sew loosely with a needle and thread. Pour the wine around the fish and bake
for about 45 minutes, basting 2 or 3 times during the cooking period. Serve
Fish Recipes | General
Fish Prep & Cooking Times |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.