Malay Grilled Fish
HT MC Malaysian 30mins plus
Malaysian name: Ikan Bakar
Serves 4 Hot
Fish Main Course Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless
Malaysia South East Asia Asian
25g/1oz Freshly Grated Coconut
60ml/2 fl.oz Tamarind Liquid
½ Medium Onion, chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
5cm/2-inches Fresh Root Ginger, chopped
1 teasp Ground Turmeric
5cm/2-inches Fresh Galangal, chopped (optional)
1/2 teasp Fresh Chilli Paste
675g/1 ½ lb Fish in one piece e.g. Red Snapper,
Cod, Salmon, Bass, Mullet, Monkfish, cleaned and scaled
1. Place all the ingredients apart from the fish in a food processor and blend
to a paste.
2. Make several diagonal cuts in the sides of the fish being careful not to cut
all the way through, then rub half of the paste into the incisions on each side
of the fish, reserving the remaining paste. Leave the fish to marinate for 2
3. Preheat the barbecue to hot. Wrap the fish in a banana leaf or aluminium foil
and grill on the BBQ for about 10 minutes on each side. Can also be cooked in
the oven (180C, 350F, Gas mark 4).
4. Place the remaining paste in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer
for 5 minutes.
5. After the cooking time, remove the fish from the BBQ or oven, unwrap, spread
the hot paste over the fish and return to barbecue or oven for a further 2
minutes leaving the foil open. Serve immediately.
Fish Recipes | General
Fish Prep & Cooking Times |
More Malaysian Recipes